What is the Form I-130?

Form I-130 is the form that a qualified U.S Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident files to establish his or her relationship with a relative wanting to immigrate to the United States. It is a very detailed form and at times it can feel overwhelming. 


Easy Immigration optimizes the filing process safely and reliably. We simplify the questions and make the overall process more efficient by avoiding unnecessary repetitive inputs. Your information will always be safe with us, as we store data with the latest security standards and the highest respect for your privacy. 


At Easy Immigration

Your security is our #1 priority. We use the latest technologies allowing our users to automate such a detailed oriented process in a very efficient way.

Sign up today and begin your
immigration process on the right track!

Sign Up

Want to know if you’re ready to file your petition?

Fill this survey to find out

You can file Form I-130

If you’re a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States you may file form I-130 for certain relatives. Who you can file for depends on whether you are a US Citizen, a lawful permanent resident, and several other factors.

If you are a U.S. Citizen you may file form I-130 for

  • Your spouse.
  • Your unmarried children (under 21 years of age).
  • Your married or unmarried sons or daughters of any age.
  • Your siblings or parents (you must be 21 years of age or older).

If you are a Lawful permanent resident of the United States you may file form I-130 for

  • Your spouse.
  • Your unmarried children (under 21 years of age).
  • Your unmarried son or daughter.

To better illustrate you here are some examples of valid and invalid petitions of alien relatives:

Carlos is a lawful permanent resident in the United States and his brother José is interested in migrating to the U.S. Can José file form I-130 for his brother José?
  • Carlos would not be able to file petition form I-130 because only U.S. Citizens can file for siblings.
Maria is a U.S. Citizen and her mother Karen lives in Mexico. Can Karen qualify for relative status?
  • Yes, Maria can file form I-130 for her mother Karen as well as for her father, siblings, and children.
Alex is a U.S. Citizen and he married a foreign national (Melissa). Is it possible for Melissa to apply for a green card?
  • Yes, Alex can be Melissa’s petitioner and you also can be your spouse’s petitioner (as long as you’re a U.S. Citizen).

Form I-130 required documents you need to prove you are a Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident:

U.S. Citizen

  • A copy of your birth certificate, issued by a civil registrar or other civil authority showing that you were born in the United States.
  • A copy of your naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship issued by USCIS
  • A copy of Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), issued by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate.
  • A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport.
  • An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying that you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport.

Lawful Permanent Resident

  • A copy of the front and back of your Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551).​
  • If you have not yet received your card, submit copies of your passport biographic page and the page showing admission as a lawful permanent resident.​
  • Or other evidence of permanent resident status issued by USCIS or the former INS.​

Who May Not File Form I-130? You may NOT file Form I-130 for a person in the following categories:

An adoptive parent or adopted child, if the adoption took place after the child turned 16 years of age.
A natural parent, if you gained lawful permanent resident status or U.S. citizenship through adoption or as a special immigrant juvenile.
A stepparent or stepchild, if the marriage that created the relationship took place after the child turned 18 years of age.
A spouse, if you and your spouse were not both physically present at the marriage ceremony unless the marriage was consummated.
A spouse, if you gained lawful permanent resident status through a prior marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, unless:
A. You are now a naturalized U.S. citizen;
B. You have been a lawful permanent resident for at least five years; read more here
A spouse, if you married your spouse while a decision in any of these proceedings was before any court on judicial review.
Any person, if USCIS determines that he or she entered into or attempted or conspired to enter into a marriage in order to evade U.S. immigration laws.
A grandparent, grandchild, nephew, niece, uncle, aunt, cousin, or parents-in-law.

We are designed to be intuitive and simplify complex and confusing immigration processes.

Sign Up

We are designed to be intuitive and simplify complex and confusing immigration processes.

Some of our badges

immigration lawyers expertise badge
immigration lawyers rising stars badge
American Immigration lawyers Association